If you have any questions, please contact our webmaster.
Diploma in Medical Assistant
The Assistant Medical Officer (AMO) provides services through the use of competent knowledge and skills in rendering curative, promotive, preventive and rehabilitative services at suitable levels under the supervision of the Medical Officer.
AMO provides the following health services:
- Primary and emergency treatment at health clinics, outpatient clinics, wards, casualty and emergency department at hospitals
- Conduct preliminary check up on patients who need treatment
- Examine, diagnose and treat minor illness
- Provide counseling/health education to patients and local communities
- Give initial treatment in emergency cases
At specific level, the AMO provides services to various specialist departments and programs such as the orthopedic department, General Surgery Department, Anesthetic and Intensive Care Unit, Department of Urology, Neurology and other departments and units in government or private hospitals.
The duration of Diploma in Medical Assistant training is 3 years (6 semesters). 3 1/2 semesters are allocated for theory and practical studies, and 2 1/2 semesters are for clinical practice in hospitals and health clinics.
Passed SPM / SPMV with 5 credits inclusive of:
Mathematics OR Additional Mathematics
Chemistry OR Biology OR Science
Any other 2 subjects
Obtained a pass in English
Physically healthy and free from any serious genetic diseases
Free from serious handicap or defective senses
Students who have successfully completed the course can find employment in the private and public sectors as:
- Work as Assistant Medical Officers under the Medical Assistant Scheme, Grade U29, Malaysian Ministry of Health or based on sponsorship
- Working as Assistant Medical Officer in statutory bodies such as university hospitals, university clinics and medical faculties.
- Undergo advance courses (specialist) locally or abroad
- Promotion to the Management and Professional level (with a degree)
- A chance to join the pilgrimage team to Mecca
- Science Officer
- Hospital Director
- Work in private hospitals - Casualties and Emergency Department, Echocardiogram and Cardiology Unit, Operation theatre, Perfusionest, Renal Unit
- Oil companies
- Working abroad such as in Saudi Arabia
- Futher studies in the field of medicine and health.
Graduates are able to pursue bachelor studies at any potential universities.